As Mazda celebrates its 100th anniversary, how well do you know the marque? Test your knowledge in our quiz!
Round 1: The Foundations of Mazda
1. What was Mazda’s original name?
Toyo Cork Kogyo
Matsuda Cork Corporation
Mazda Cork Toyo
2. In which Japanese city is Mazda’s global headquarters based?
3. What was name of Mazda’s first four-wheeled passenger car?
4. The world’s first mass-produced rotary-engined passenger car is the Mazda Cosmo Sport, but what year was it introduced?
5. Mazda UK was established as an official National Sales Centre in 2001, who is the current Managing Director?
Round 2: Technology & Innovation
6. What is the official name for the last Mazda engine, which featured in the RX-8?
7. In 2019, Mazda launched the world’s first spark-controlled compression ignition petrol engine, but on what car?
8. Which of these Mazda models featured a Miller Cycle 2.3-litre V6 petrol engine?
9. Mazda models feature a straight body frame in a continuous configuration from front to rear to save weight and increase overall rigidity. We call this our ‘Skyactiv’ bodyshell. Which model of Mazda was the first to use it?
10. In 1979, an American motoring journalist travelled to Mazda Corporation HQ and drew a sketch of a car that he proposed Mazda should consider producing. 10 years later, that car was launched as the Mazda MX-5. What the journalist’s name?
Round 3: Design
11. What name is given to the finishing tool that Mazda uses to smooth metal body panels as they exit the metal press?
12. Mazda’s current design language, ‘KODO’, was introduced in 2010. Upon which concept car did it make its debut?
13. Who is the current design director of Mazda Motors Europe?
14. Which of these is not an element of Mazda design?
15. Which material does Mazda insist on building design models out of?
Round 4: Motorsport
16. In 1991, Mazda made history by becoming the first and, to-date, only manufacturer to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a rotary-engined race car. What was the name of the car?
17. Which of these racing series has Mazda not raced in?
British Touring Car Championship
World Rally Championship
World Endurance Championship
18. In 1968, Mazda entered international motorport, but which race marked their debut?
The 6 Hours of Sebring
The Fuji Speedway Sprint Series
The Marathon De La Route
The Rolex Daytona 24 Hours
19. Which of these organisations has never sponsored Mazda in motorsport?
20. Which British racing driver currently competes for Mazda Motorsport in the IMSA Series alongside Oliver Jarvis, driving the Mazda RT24-P?
Round 5: Rare and unusual Mazdas
21. In 1989, Mazda launched a new marque which introduced the world to the AZ-1, a gull-winged sports kei car. What was the marque?
22. Which of these is a special edition of MX-5?
23. A museum in Ausberg, Germany, holds the world’s largest private collection of classic Mazda models available for public viewing. What is the museum’s name?
The Frau Museum
The Freemantle Museum
The Frey Museum
The Freighter Museum
24. Which of these Mazda models was not offered as a convertible?
25. Familia and Protégé are alternative nameplates for which Mazda model?
Share the quiz to show your results !
Subscribe to see your results
100th Anniversary Quiz
I got %%score%% of %%total%% right